Sports betting strategies:
In sports betting there are several strategies that can be used with different amount of success. Here´s the vikings breakdown of the most common strategies and the pros/cons of said strategies.
Placing systematic bets is one of the most commonly used strategies, in short: the player uses a system where the bets must abide a couple of simple rules. One of the most common way of sports betting is using the 1.10-1.20 system which as you might´ve guessed relies heavily on low odds with high stakes. Most players using this strategy will go all in on 10-20 subsequent 1.10-1.20 games and then bank the profit and start over in new series of 1.10-1.20 bets. This does actually work if you know what you´re doing, our best tips when using this strategy is to look for livebets where one team scores really early which opens high under lines that are in the 1.10-1.20 range. NOTE: When doing this, be sure to research the bet extra carefully as you most likely have a large amount of money at stake, just because the odds is low doesnt mean that it´s 100% secure UNLESS you research very carefully and find the best 1.10-1.20 bets.
Livebetting at winning plays:
Now this is actually a strategy that the viking doesnt recommend, even if you know what you´re doing. We´ve come across players that only bet on basketball/soccer/hockey games where the handicap quickly is in a winning favor of one team, or where one team is already winning. Now what we mean here is that of course some of these bets might be good, but only playing in this manner will kill your bankroll in a matter of minutes, ending your sports betting untill you can put up a new bankroll. For example: Look for 3 soccer games where the underdog is up by 1 and place a experimental bet of 0.1 unit. You will in most cases loose. Again, dont do this.
Now this is a far more interesting strategy of sports betting which if done right can create quite a lot of profit, especially in some of the more obscure basketball leagues. What you do is that you rank the teams yourself, giving each team a certain score. Then you follow this score and bet on the games according to your rankings. Each point in the rankings equates to a certain score number (depending on the sport).
Research + predictions:
Researching a game is the best way to sucess in online sports betting, no question about it. If you combine your own research with that of someone else, then you can reach great sucess. It can help you from making the wrong decisions and it can inspire you to make some great plays. If you are leaning on a game but are uncertain if you want to place a bet on it then search for some finished predictions (Bettingviking is a good place to start for inspiration). Research injuries, news, rumors, h2h stats and goal stats. And then when you´ve done the research do some more. After that you should be able to find a comfortable pick for the game.
Martin Gale and reversed Martin Gale:
The Martin Gale and reversed Martin Gale strategy is originally a live casino strategy and wildly known as the two most popular casino betting strategies. The original Martin Gale is based on betting on a 50/50 outcome and then double the bet if you lose untill you win, this means that if you have an endless bankroll you would eventually win. The reversed Martin Gale strategy means betting half of your starting bet untill you win. Now in sports betting this can actually be more profitable then the original strategy. Now the 50/50 bet in sports betting will include the bookmakers edge which means that you automaticly will be at a disadvantage as an actual 50/50 outcome will equate o 1.86/1.86 odds. However if you research each bet and find value then you will be able to actually beat the bookmakers using this strategy. All you need to do in order to profit is to look for 1.86 bets that have an actual value of 2.0+ (basicly 1.86ers with a small edge), the best way to do this is to scan the internet and twitter for rumors about injuries which will have an effect on the odds/handicap (if betting on basketball).
Using the strategies mentioned here is a great way to start your sports betting career, but how do you cap games to bet? Capping a game is of course a different procedure from sport to sport but some ground pillars are always the same:
- Look for the players/teams shape using a head to head service, usually the 5 latest games will give you a good overview.
- Research the teams/players position/points, how important is this game for them? Usually here is when homefield advantage should be considered the most (Some teams will play out of their minds when they have the fans support in a pressured position
- Research injuries/resting players, this is easily done scanning through some sportnews websites.
- Research the teams statistics for the prime positions of the sport (in tennis compare clay/hard/grass to find value), in basketball this would be the starplayers and in hockey it would be the goalies and so forth
Tennis specific tips:
- What surface is the game being played on, does the bookmaker base the odds on this surface (how long was it since the last time the player played on the surface).
- In even games look for over 2 sets instead of picking an outright winner, if the over/under games can be covered in 2 sets at the same odds as over 2 sets then pick that instead.
- Dig around in sportnews to determine how long time has passed since the player arrived at the competition, some times players will only have a day or so to rest in between flights.
- Tennis is a precision sport, ridiculous value odds on unkown players usually have some value that can be hedged after the first games of the match
Basketball specific tips:
- When capping games always read up on the teams biggest stars, basketball is in the words of Michael jordan himself: “The sport where the stars makes the biggest difference”.
- Stay clear of the “public line” (the handicap which you first see) unless you consider the handicap to be way over/under what it should be. Try to play teaser handicaps instead, these come at a lower odds but will usually lead to long winning streaks.
- For teams that tends to blow out the first two quarters and then doesnt cover the handicap, look for 1st/2nd half instead
- Look for back to back games where one team is well rested vs a worn out team
Soccer specific tips:
- Look at the current standings to try and determine your first leans, which team needs to win the most and will a draw cut it?
- Check out the alternatives to the classic 1×2 bets and see how much value that you will lose if you pick draw no bet instead (or an asian handicap/regular handicap). This is especially important if you want to play big coupons.
- Soccer is the sport where home field advantage is a big factor to consider (mostly due to the amount of spectators at the arena).
- The starting line-ups can tell a lot about the game e.g if a team is going for offence or defense. Use this to your advantage when betting.
Hockey specific tips:
- Almost always pick Moneyline when betting on the NHL, to many games goes to overtime so why risk it.
- If you´re looking at the -1.5 puckline then consider picking regulation instead, if the price isnt that much worse.
- The goalkeeper is basicly the pitcher in hockey, look for the latest news about the goalies and compare their save percentages.
- When picking over/unders in hockey consider if any of the teams are B2B, if both teams are B2B then go with the under in most cases
Livebetting is a lot harder than prebetting since the value changes continiously, one ball in tennis or a 2 pointer in basketball can turn a good bet into a mediocre bet. When you´re starting your livebetting career make sure that you choose a market where you can determine if the odds are good or not. You need to know the players/teams inside out and even then you will likely need some good tools before placing the bet. Here are some of the basics to get you started:
- Make sure that you livebet on your best market (if you livebet for value and not because you didnt have time to place your bet before the game started).
- Bookmark your favourite head to head tool to get a quick overview on the play. Most head to head services will also list the prebet odds, use this to your advantage to determine if there is value or not.
- Make sure that you have your livebetting bankroll ready before betting, there is nothing worse then the odds dropping while you´re depositing. The key here is that you have good discipline and bankroll management, if you continiously try to find value where there is none and lose your bankroll over and over then go back to prebetting for a while.
- Try to research the way you would on a normal bet In sports where the value wont change unless there is a quick goal such as soccer or hockey.
- Always research plays where you´re sceptical about the odds. Even if this means that you will lose some value on these plays it will help you avoid traps like when a tennis favourite is injured and the odds are way off what it was prebet.
- Always watch the game live for a few moments when livebetting. If you know the players and the sport then this is key to determine if there is value in your play or not.
- Look for opportunities to hedge the value out of your bet to guarantee profit when you´re betting on underdogs. Comebacks do happen and when they do it´s much more satisfying to get a 500% ROI then to lose a 1000% ROI.
Bankroll management strategies:
Every serious and hobby gambler have a bankroll, basicly it´s the funds that you use for gambling. As such bankroll management is how you manage those funds to make them grow (or shrink). To keep a steady growth of your bankroll and to avoid it shrinking you need to know the basics of managing it. This comes hand in hand with various strategies on how to gamble and the best way to manage your bankroll is to stick with one strategy and adjust your BRM (Bankroll management) after it. Good bankroll management is also the key to avoid getting problems from gambling which can affect your personal life. Gambling can go downhill very fast but with the correct BRM from the start it´s a fun hobby and a nice way of making a second income.
The Secrets to keeping your bankroll afloat
There are several different ways of sustaining your bankroll and keeping it seperated from your ordinary funds, the fundamental key to doing so is to set up a monthly or weekly deposit limit for yourself. For example: You can afford 500€ a month (and want to play with that amount), then you can either deposit 500€ 1 time a month or split it up in smaller pieces to take advantage of more bonus offers.
The advantage of depositing in this manner is that you get a clear overview of how much you play for both monthly and yearly. It helps you in staying clear of problems often associated with gambling and it makes the hobby much more enjoyable. If you ask any professinal gambler (people gambling as their fulltime job) they will tell you that BRM is the key to success in this business. This also helps you to stay away from luccrative but bad bets, which in the end decimates your bankroll. The viking always recommend that you take a “cool-off” period after a loosing streak, unfortunately even with good BRM those periods comes naturally from time to time. During your loosing streaks it´s imminent that you stay strong and follow your budget since ultimately that´s what will determine if you are a long term winner.
Now following these advices will help you in sustaining sports betting in your personal life (it will only have good consequences) but how do you sustain your bankroll in the sports betting world?
First of all: Think through every bet you make, first take leans on various bets (preferably check upcoming games on sportpages so that you dont see the odds), when you see something you like then think of the scenarios; What is likely to happen in THIS game. who will win, do the teams score a lot, etc. After you´ve done this and have gotten a couple of good possible bets then research them, take at least 15 minutes to go through injuries, last games, shape, head to head stats and read interviews/articles on sportpages. The reason why we emphasis sportpages and not prediction sites like Bettingviking is because we dont want to see the odds quite yet. After you´ve read through all this for the bets that you want to play THEN go search for predictions on forums, betting sites (such as bettingviking) etc.
Now, one could argue that you can jump to the last stage of this process straight away and just bet based on predictions and while this is true (if a sports betting site or forummember constantly delivers +EV in the long haul then you will go + if you just bet with them), it takes away a lot from the betting and it could make you bet blindly based on predictions which can turn very ugly, very fast.
If you are in a hurry and want to bet on the nights games but dont have the time to do the read ups, then take leans and do the research then you can consider only reading sports betting predictions, we constantly deliver previews and predictions which are easy to follow. But it´s always best to do your own research aswell.
“Keeping a spreadsheet is great for bankroll management!”
This is one of the first tips that the experts will give you if you ask them for gambling advice, a spreadsheet with all of your bets will help you to recognize both your winning and loosing patterns. What bets you win on and what bets you lose on, with this information you can identify what you are good at capping and what strategies that works for you.
Creating a spreadsheet can seem like a great hassle but it is as simple as just creating an excell sheet (if you dont have Microsoft Office then look for OpenOffice, it´s almost the same and it´s free). Make a tab for the value (in units), a tab for the date, a tab for the odds, a tab for the teams/players, a tab for the sport and a tab if the game was a win or lose. Keep a separate sheet for parlays to help you with organizing your different bets.
In addition to your spreadsheet you can keep a sports betting diary, in doing so you can get feedback on all of your bets, and you can also post them before betting to get feedback from other gamblers. This way you can make sure that your bet is the correct one and it will help you in avoiding bad bets.
Keeping both of these tools updated with all of your bets is also almost as fun as analyzing the game and watching it live, it makes for a second element to sports betting!
What are “units” in sportsbetting? And what´s the best way to implement it to a working strategy:
When gamblers speak about units it´s simply what the standard value of your bets are, the value of a unit is based on your bankroll size and as such it will differ from player to player. In the previous example where we said that your limit is 500€/month a good value for your units would be 2-4% of that size (you can of course alter this depending on your prefered odds-size, this example is for odds ranging from 1.5-3.0), which would be 10€-20€ per bet. A succesfull gambler will always look for volume wether you´re counting cards in blackjack, playing poker or betting on sports. The above mentioned strategy in conjunction to what´s been mentioned earlier is what the viking would recommened as the best starting strategy and if you aren’t interested in special bets (such as betting big amounts on low odds games) then it could sustain you for as long as you wish.
When you are betting on bankers (The viking posts some great bankers in our bankers of the week category) be sure to adjust your betsize to fit the banker, just adjust your units to the lower odds. An easy way of doing this is calculating how much you need to bet to win the same amount as you would for a 2.0 odds bet (or what your average odds size is). This goes the same way when betting on underdogs, just adjust the betsize to the bet.
Be sure to set a banking limit in accordance to you bankroll, a good benchmark is if your bankroll has grown with 50% in units then bank that (withdraw it) and start over from your original bankroll amount.
Using bonuses to get extra value for your bankroll:
The final strategy that we will learn you is the utilization of sports bonuses to get that extra edge in your sports betting. Each bonus has different terms so first of all you need to read through them carefully. If you take a % bonus then you can proceed as you normally would and if you take a freebet bonus be sure to take the full amount so that you get 100% value from it. In the viking’s experience all sports bonuses are +EV so use them to their full extent.
Building a really big bankroll is quite easy if you use every sports bonus that you can find and follow what you´ve learnt here. Be sure to bank it when you have wagered through the bonus so that you can proceed to the next one. The viking strongly recommends using a netwallet when doing this as it will help you immensly.
If you want a risk-free way of making money from sports betting then you should check out bonustrading, matched betting and surebetting. You can read more about those topics at our surebetting page.